Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Al Manakha Rotana Madinah - Your Medina Oasis!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the shimmering, shimmering, shimmering world of the Al Manakha Rotana in Madinah, a place they desperately want you to consider your "oasis". And trust me, I've been around the block, seen some hotels, and this one…well, let's just say it's got some seriously blingy potential. This review is going to be a bit of a journey, a little bit of a ramble, but hey, that's how life – and travel reviews – really are, right? Let's get messy!
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Al Manakha Rotana Madinah - Your Medina Oasis! – A Deep Dive (and Some Shenanigans)
First off, the name. Unbelievable Luxury Awaits. Okay, Rotana, I see you. Big promises. HUGE. And honestly? The lobby does smack you in the face with "expensive". Marble, chandeliers, enough glimmer to make a magpie faint. But does the reality live up to the hype? Let's get into it, shall we?
Accessibility: A Mixed Bag (and Some Prayers)
Okay, for the folks who need it, this is important. The website says "Facilities for disabled guests." God bless 'em for trying. Wheelchair accessible: "Yes," they say. Okay, good start. The elevator situation seems to be fine, which is a MUST. But the devil is always the little things, isn't it? The details: are the ramps smooth, are the doors wide enough, do the staff actually know how to help without looking like they’re facing a crisis? I can't personally vouch for the whole wheelchair accessibility experience, but I'd recommend calling ahead and grilling them on specifics. (Seriously, ask about the bathrooms – that's ALWAYS the sticking point.)
Getting Around – The Chaos is Real (and Sometimes a Miracle)
- Airport transfer: YES! Thank God. I mean, dealing with the Madinah airport after a long flight? No thanks. Worth the money, just for that alone.
- Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Valet parking: Plenty of parking, which is a godsend in a city like this. Valet is tempting, tempting…especially after a day of… well, Madinah.
- Taxi service: Readily available, but negotiate the price before you get in. Seriously.
- Car power charging station: Finally! For the eco-concious traveler.
Cleanliness and Safety: COVID-19 & Beyond (I'm a Germaphobe at Heart)
Alright, folks, here’s where the Al Manakha Rotana REALLY shines. Or at least, appears to. They really lean into the whole "safety first" thing. I mean, the list of precautions is impressive. They've clearly read the memo on COVID and are taking it seriously and I got lots of hand sanitiser.
- Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Rooms sanitized between stays: Sounds good on paper.
- Staff trained in safety protocol: You know, on paper.
- Hand sanitizer everywhere.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: Okay, maybe a little ambitious in the buffet line.
I did notice the individually-wrapped food options, which is a HUGE plus for peace of mind. And the Safe dining setup, with lots of distance to reduce crowding.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling the Soul (and Maybe a Hangover)
So… FOOD. This is always a critical part, and honestly, Al Manakha Rotana mostly delivers.
- Breakfast [buffet]: Okay, here's the deal. The buffet is massive. Everything from Asian breakfast delights to Western breakfast staples. The coffee shop is convenient. The Coffee/tea in restaurant flows freely. There's a ton of Desserts in restaurant options.
- Breakfast takeaway service: Excellent, if you’re running late for a prayer, and frankly, I was too.
- Restaurants: Plural! Always a good sign. I tried the main restaurant, and it was decent. Not Michelin-star worthy, but totally fine.
- Room service [24-hour]: A lifesaver at 3 AM when your digestive system is rebelling against the travel chaos. Order the soup! You'll thank me later.
- Poolside bar, Happy hour: Not sure I’m using the words “happy” and “pool” together here.
- Asian cuisine in restaurant and Vegetarian restaurant: Nice options.
Important note: I didn’t see any Poolside bar.
Things to Do: Ways to Relax! (Or At Least Pretend To)
- Fitness center: Pretty decent, but nothing spectacular.
- Spa/sauna, Steamroom: Okay, the spa… that was an experience. I needed a massage to work out my travel kinks.
- Massage: The massage itself was divine. One of those moments where you just… melt. I got the body wrap too. Good stuff.
For the Kids: (Good News for the Parents)
- Babysitting service and Kids facilities: HUGE win if you're traveling with little ones.
- Family/child friendly: Pretty clearly, yes.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Luxuries (and the Annoyances)
- Air conditioning in public area: ESSENTIAL. Seriously. It gets HOT.
- Concierge: Helpful, but not mind-reading.
- Cash withdrawal: Super convenient.
- Daily housekeeping: Always appreciated.
- Dry cleaning, Laundry service, Ironing service: Travel staples.
- Elevator: Yay!
- Facilities for disabled guests: Important for those who will use it.
- Gift/souvenir shop: Convenient, if overpriced.
- Luggage storage: Always a plus.
- Smoking area: The bane of my non-smoking existence, but at least it's there.
- Terrace: I didn't check the terrace. Oops.
- Business facilities: (Projector/LED display, etc.): Standard stuff, if you're dragging a business trip along with you.
My Room: The Kingdom of Me (and My Toiletries)
Okay, let’s dissect the room. Important Disclaimer: All rooms are NOT created equal. I'm talking the unbelievable luxury here (fingers crossed) - not just the basic.
- Air conditioning, CHECK.
- Air conditioning: CHECK.
- Air conditioning: CHECK! (I'm being dramatic. But trust me, it's important. )
- Bathroom phone: I’m not sure why I need a phone IN the bathroom, but okay.
- Blackout curtains: Glorious, essential for sleeping in.
- Coffee/tea maker: Yes! Caffeine is a must.
- Free bottled water: A lifesaver!
- Hair dryer, Bathrobes, Slippers, CHECK, CHECK!
- In-room safe box: Always use it.
- Mini bar: Check.
- On-demand movies: Yes, please!
- Refrigerator: Useful.
- Satellite/cable channels: Okay, I'm not watching much TV, but whatever.
- Seating area: Nice to have.
- Shower, Separate shower/bathtub: Okay, I’m not sure why I need BOTH, but…okay.
- Soundproofing: Crucial.
- Wake-up service.
The Bad, the Ugly, and the Unbelievable
Here’s where things get…real. I’m not going to lie, there were a few minor hiccups. The Wi-Fi wavered a couple of times (although Wi-Fi [free] in the room is a massive plus). The staff, while generally pleasant, sometimes seemed a little overwhelmed. But honestly, these are minor quips.
The Verdict: Is the Oasis Real?
Okay, so… Unbelievable Luxury? Hmmm. It’s undeniably a nice hotel. It's in a great location, the rooms are comfortable, the spa is a treat (take your damn time while you're there, and get the body wrap!), the food is generally good, and they’re trying really hard on the safety front. It ticks many of the boxes, and the location itself is great.
My honest opinion? I'd stay here again. But I'd also manage my expectations. It's not the Four Seasons, people. But if you want a comfortable, clean, well-located hotel with some genuinely nice amenities and a serious commitment to COVID safety, the Al Manakha Rotana is a solid contender. It's not a PERFECT oasis, but it’s definitely a welcome pit stop on your Medina adventure.
Luxury London Living: 2-Bed Garden Flat in Enfield's Skyvillion!Okay, buckle up, buttercup! We're going to Madinah, baby! Forget perfectly polished itineraries, this is the REAL DEAL. This is my attempt to navigate the chaos and beauty of Al Manakha Rotana and the holy city of Madinah, warts and all. Prepare for a whirlwind of prayer, pigeons, potential overeating, and the occasional existential crisis.
(Day 1: Arrival & Sensory Overload!)
- 1:00 PM – Arrival at Prince Mohammad bin Abdulaziz International Airport (MED): Ugh, the airport! I SWEAR, every time I land anywhere in the Middle East, it's like stepping into a furnace AND a perfume factory. The smell is…intense. This time, as always I have no idea how the luggage carousel works, and I end up following a family with 17 suitcases because I'm pretty sure they know the secret.
- 2:00 PM – Check-in at Al Manakha Rotana: Alhamdulillah! The hotel lobby is…fancy. Gold everywhere. My internal monologue is screaming, "DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!" I feel like a sweaty, slightly bewildered tourist in a palace. The room, though? Decent. Clean. A decent view of… well, other buildings. But hey, it's a place to crash.
- 2:30 PM – First Prayer at the Hotel: Right, gotta find the prayer room! After spending 20 minutes wandering around the lobby like a lost puppy, I finally stumble upon it. The atmosphere is calming. The call to prayer washes over me, and I'm suddenly overwhelmed. I take a moment to reflect on where I am, the journey I've taken, and the magnitude of it all.
- 3:30 PM – Exploring Around the Hotel. Madinah's Chaotic Heart: Finally, I wander outside, to soak it all in and take advantage of the opportunity, or as opportunity comes to me. The area around Al Manakha is…a sensory explosion. The sound of the calls to prayer mixes with the chatter of a thousand conversations, the scent of freshly baked bread and roasting lamb, plus the smell of the exhaust from the never-ending traffic. I honestly get lost in the crowd. I'm captivated by the bustling markets. I buy dates. Way too many dates. Already regretting my decision.
- 5:00 PM – First Meal – It will get messy!: I had to try the local food. I ate the wrong thing, and suddenly felt terrible. I got lost in a maze of narrow streets and barely managed to find my way back to the hotel.
- 8:00 PM – Dinner at the hotel. Hotel food, usually a safe bet.
- 9:00 PM – Early Night: Jet lag is kicking my butt. Plus, that street food from earlier? Yeah, it's still haunting me. I need sleep. Deep, blissful sleep.
(Day 2: The Prophet's Mosque & Pigeons of Doom!)
- 6:00 AM – Fajr Prayer & Witnessing the Magic: Okay, getting up for Fajr is brutal. But the experience? Unforgettable. Walking to the Prophet's Mosque (Masjid al-Nabawi) in the early morning air is magical. The hushed reverence, the serene atmosphere…it's unlike anything I've ever experienced. The beauty of the architecture, inside and out, just kind of overwhelms me. Tears, happy ones, definitely flow.
- 7:00 AM – Breakfast: I'm starving. The hotel breakfast is…okay. But I'm still dreaming of those dates (the ones from yesterday, the good ones).
- 8:00 AM – Day at The Prophet's Mosque (Masjid al-Nabawi): I spend the entire day at the Mosque. This time being really present in prayer, reciting the Quran. I go in and out like the tide, sometimes I sit in the sun, sometimes I'm just overwhelmed by the number of people, but I have to stay. I feel a profound sense of peace and connection, and an understanding of why people come here.
- 12:00 PM - Lunch: I find a little restaurant and eat the local food. It's worth it, even though I risk another round of regret and suffering.
- 2:00 PM – Return to the Prophet’s Mosque: At this point I'm exhausted and a little overwhelmed. I spend some more hours in the mosque.
- 5:00 PM – Wandering Around The Prophet's Mosque: I make it to the outer courtyards. The pigeons are everywhere. And I mean EVERYWHERE. They flock around and start begging for the food I didn't realize I had. The sheer number of them is…intimidating. I suddenly feel like I'm in a Hitchcock movie.
- 6:00 PM – Dinner. Dinner at the hotel, I don't think I can face street food again.
- 7:00 PM – Evening Prayer at the Mosque. The second time of the day! Each call to prayer leaves me with goosebumps. I feel so much hope.
- 8:00 PM – Evening walk: The lights around the Mosque. The energy. All the people. I am still getting goosebumps.
- 9:00 PM – Lights out, and bed.
(Day 3: Exploring & a Touch of Chaos)
- 7:00 AM – Last Breakfast. The hotel breakfast.: Eggs and coffee. The taste is… familiar.
- 8:00 AM - Visit to the graves of the Prophet and his companions: The serenity and history of the place are breathtaking. It's a time for quiet reflection.
- 9:00 AM – Exploring the local markets: More dates! I can't help myself. Plus, I find a vendor selling beautiful prayer beads. I bargain way too hard and get them for a steal. Feeling like a successful tourist!
- 10:00 AM – Time for a little bit of relaxation, at the hotel.
- 12:00 PM – Visiting the Hejaz Railway Museum: I loved it. I found myself completely transported.
- 2:00 PM – Lunch. I think I'm finally starting to figure out the food situation.
- 3:00 PM – Exploring the Prophet's Mosque (Masjid al-Nabawi): I was beginning to feel a profound connection to the people who came here. Everyone felt part of something here. I'm starting to be too.
- 5:00 PM - Farewell shopping: I buy way too many souvenirs.
- 7:00 PM – Last Dinner. This time, I had to give up and go to the hotel again.
- 8:00 PM – Packing and Reflection: I start packing. I find myself staring out the window, watching the city lights twinkle. The experience, the beauty of the people, the spirituality of it all…it's all a lot to process.
- 9:00 PM – Prayer and Last Night: One last prayer. One last moment of peace. I'm already starting to miss it.
(Day 4: Departure)
- 6:00 AM – Farewell Prayer: One last prayer at the hotel.
- 7:00 AM – Last breakfast.
- 8:00 AM – Check Out: Back to the lobby. Deep breaths.
- 9:00 AM – Travel to the airport.
- 10:00 AM – Flight: So long, Madinah! Until next time!
Final Thoughts:
Madinah isn’t just a destination; it’s an experience. It’s messy, beautiful, overwhelming, and often a little bit mystifying. Don't expect perfection. Embrace the chaos, the smells, the crowds, and the sheer wonder of it all. And for the love of all that is holy…watch out for those pigeons! They're planning something… I just know it!
Escape to Paradise: Luxurious Stay at Secure Inn, Bahria Town!Okay, so… is Al Manakha Rotana *really* as swanky as it looks in the photos? Because, let’s be honest, those brochures are sometimes lying liars.
Alright, buckle up, because this is where the *real* tea gets spilled. Those photos? They're good. *Really* good. But… they don't quite capture the sheer, dazzling… well, *everything*! Okay, picture this: you walk in. The lobby? It's not just a lobby. It's a statement. Marble floors that could practically serve as reflective ponds, shimmering chandeliers that make you squint even with your sunglasses on (and you're *definitely* wearing sunglasses, because the sun in Madinah is NO joke!). I swear, I spent a solid five minutes just staring upwards, thinking, "Am I... am I worthy of this?" And let me tell you, the answer is a resounding "Maybe… probably not, but who cares!" Seriously though, the photos understate the size and grandeur. It feels HUGE.
The location – is it actually close to everything, or is it one of those "walking distance" lies hotels tell?
Okay, so about that "walking distance" claim… Let's be real, it’s *closer* than getting to Buckingham Palace. You step outside, take a deep breath of that Madinah air (which, by the way, is surprisingly clean compared to some other places I've been), and BAM! The Prophet's Mosque is right there. Like, RIGHT THERE. Forget about cabs, forget about struggling with the traffic. You stroll, you observe, you soak it all in. I found myself doing the evening prayers without any hassle, really helpful. Now, for those of us with, ahem, *less* than stellar fitness levels (ahem, me!), it’s not like a leisurely Sunday afternoon stroll. But it's doable, especially early morning when it's cooler. So yes, location? Nail. On. The. Head.
Tell me about those fancy rooms. Are they actually comfortable, or just… showy?
Oh, the rooms. God, the rooms. See, this is where it gets tricky. The first day, I walked in, and I felt a bit, you know, *intimidated*. Like, should I even *touch* anything? The decor is opulent – think plush carpets, exquisitely crafted details, maybe even a genuine piece of something expensive. But here's the kicker: after about 20 minutes of nervous pacing, I realized it's actually *comfortable*. The beds are like clouds, the pillows... honestly, I've dreamt of those pillows. But, and this is a big but, here's the one tiny imperfection: the air conditioning. One of my first nights, it was a bit too cold, so I had to wake up, and I'm not a morning person in a good mood. BUT the staff was quick to fix it, and once sorted, it turned into paradise. So, showy? Yes. Comfortable? Absolutely. Just… maybe a little fiddling with the AC at first.
The food. Oh God, the food. Is the buffet as epic as everyone says? (And is there anything for picky eaters?)
The buffet. Ah, the buffet. Okay. You're not just eating. You're embarking on a culinary odyssey. It's not about ‘being full’. It’s about choices. Mountains of dates. Every kind of bread imaginable. Omelet stations, noodle stations, curry stations… I tried a bit of everything, which, looking back, was probably not the smartest move. That said, if you're a picky eater… well, you're probably going to be okay. They have plain rice, grilled chicken, and even… gasp… french fries! (Though, let's be honest, you're in Madinah. Try the authentic stuff! It's worth it.) I overate. I deeply regret nothing. My stomach did a little dance of joy for a day. Just remember to pace yourself. And maybe wear something with a little give in the waistband. You’ll thank me later.
What about the staff? Are they as helpful as everyone claims, or are they just pretending for tips?
Alright, I'll be honest with you. I'm a cynical traveler. I always expect the "helpful" staff to have a motive, but the service at Al Manakha Rotana genuinely blew me away. From the moment I arrived, the staff were attentive, warm, and went above and beyond. I remember one instance where I was struggling to find a specific shop to buy some last-minute gifts. I asked one of the concierge staff, and instead of just pointing me in a direction (which they easily could have done), this lovely man actually walked with me *halfway* there, making sure I knew the best route. He didn't have to! Absolutely genuine. Now, I tipped, of course (because that’s the respectful thing to do), but I honestly think they would've offered the same level of service regardless. No fakeness, just genuinely lovely people.
Is there anything you *didn't* like? Give me the dirt!
Okay, fair. No place is perfect. I already mentioned the initial AC hiccup. But here's the real dirt: The Wi-Fi can be *a little* patchy at times, especially during peak hours. Not a deal-breaker, but if you're reliant on fast internet for work (like, you know, *being* productive), it can be frustrating. Also, and this is super specific to... *me*: the gym was a little limited. If you're a hardcore fitness fanatic, you might find it lacking. If you're like me, someone who *intends* to hit the gym but mainly ends up ordering more dates from room service, you'll be fine. I mean, hey, it's not a spa! It is very close to everything, you do have some more walking to get in shape as I did!
Did you feel safe? That's a big concern for many travelers.
Safety? Absolutely. Madinah, in general, feels exceptionally safe. The hotel itself has 24/7 security, and the atmosphere is very peaceful. I walked around at all hours, and I never felt the slightest bit uneasy. It was such a relief, honestly. I felt more secure than I do walking around my own neighborhood back home! It's one of the things that really allows you to relax and enjoy the experience.
Okay, let’s get real. Would you go back?
Would I go back? In a heartbeat. Absolutely. Yes. Book it. Done. Seriously, I've been recommending it to everyone I know. The little imperfections are so minor that they barely register in the grand scheme of things.Scenic Stays