
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: KHARIZ Hotel Bukittinggi, Indonesia
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the luscious, potentially life-changing (okay, maybe just vacation-changing) world of the KHARIZ Hotel in Bukittinggi, Indonesia. Prepare for a review that's less perfectly polished travel brochure and more… well, me. Get ready for a bumpy ride, folks!
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: KHARIZ Hotel Bukittinggi - The Real Deal (Probably)
First things first: SEO, SEO, SEO! (That's for the Google gods). So, searching for a hotel in Bukittinggi? KHARIZ Hotel MUST pop up, because, you guys, this place sounds amazing. Let's break it down, shall we?
Accessibility: The Good, the Maybe? (And the Prayer I'm Right)
Okay, so "Facilities for disabled guests" is listed. That's a HUGE plus. But details? That's where things get a little… murky for a review. The vagueness leaves me kinda anxious to find out how wheelchair friendly the entire place is. "Elevator" is listed, so that's good for rooms. But let's hope the ramps are actually ramped and not "slightly sloped, good luck!" (I say this because I've been burned before.) I want to be really thorough about the real deal on accessibility for all those needing it.
- Rating: Waiting! Will update. Fingers crossed!
On-Site Restaurants/Lounges: Fueling the Luxurious Beast
Right, the good stuff! Because a hotel is nothing without food. The website mentions Restaurants, Poolside Bar, Coffee Shop, Snack Bar, and a Bar. YES. My stomach already loves this place. The variety suggests a menu that's got something for everyone. I'm particularly excited about the Asian Cuisine and Vegetarian Restaurant options, because, hello, balance. The Breakfast [Buffet] and Breakfast [Buffet] are a godsend! I could easily spend a morning just eating pancakes and pretending to be a royal.
- Specific Wish: Are there outdoor settings? Views of the rice paddies? I NEED to know!
- Rating: Tentatively a 4/5 (pending actual food in my face)
Cleanliness and Safety: Breathe Easier (Literally)
This is HUGE. 2024. We're all suddenly germaphobes. KHARIZ Hotel seems to be taking it seriously. "Anti-viral cleaning products," "Daily disinfection in common areas," "Room sanitization between stays," "Staff trained in safety protocol”… all good signs! The fact they're bothering to list "Hand sanitizer" and "First aid kit" just shows they’re on top of it. It's reassuring, right? You can actually relax and enjoy your stay, which is precisely the goal. I'm particularly impressed that they have professional-grade sanitizing services. That's the kind of detail that makes me breathe a sigh of relief.
- Hope: The air conditioning is regularly cleaned, too. Because… allergies.
- Rating: 5/5 (because clean is sexy)
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Let's Eat! (And Drink!)
Alright, the foodie in me is practically drooling. A la carte in restaurant, Asian Cuisine, Breakfast Buffet, Happy Hour, International cuisine… I NEED IT ALL. Coffee/tea in restaurant? Excellent. Room service [24-hour]? HEAVEN. I can picture it now: me, sprawled on a giant bed, ordering a mountain of Padang food at 3 AM. (Is that even possible? I'm willing to find out.)
- Anecdote Time: I once stayed at a "luxury" hotel where room service was… a microwaveable meal. I'm still traumatized. KHARIZ, you promise us real food?
- Quirk: I REALLY NEED a good dessert menu. Maybe I'm a simple person…
- Rating: 4.5/5 (slightly biased because I'm hungry)
Ways to Relax (and Pretend I'm Not a Mess): Spa Day, Anyone?
- Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]… I'm going to be completely honest. This is the part of a review where I just start gasping. A POOL WITH A VIEW?! A SAUNA?! I'm already picturing myself, zen-like, sipping herbal tea after a brutal session of… whatever luxury things people in spas do.
- The Real Moment: Okay, here's where I admit my inner travel snob emerges. I'm all about the spa. A good spa can redeem an entire hotel stay. The fact that KHARIZ has multiple options makes me giddy. I'm talking body wraps, massages, all sorts of treatments. I need a full-body scrub and to melt away all the stress and anxiety.
- My Dream: A spa where I can get a massage and maybe a gentle interrogation about where I've been and what I've eaten. (Is that weird?)
- Rating: A FULL-BLOWN 5/5! (I might be biased.)
Things to Do: Beyond the Spa (If You Dare to Leave)
Okay, so I'm slightly worried that I'll never leave the spa. But, the hotel also offers a Fitness Center (Gym/fitness) which is a plus.
- Wish: Is there a concierge who can arrange amazing local tours? Because… I need to see the sights.
- Rating: 4/5 (because I might never leave the spa)
Internet Access: Staying Connected (or Disconnecting, Maybe?)
"Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" HALLELUJAH! And Internet access – wireless, Internet access – LAN. They’ve got it all. I'm slightly addicted to the internet. Even on vacation. I have to check my email. I have to show off the pictures of my fabulous life. It's a problem.
- Quirk: I'm going to be that weirdo who tests the Wi-Fi speed immediately.
- Rating: 5/5 (because internet is basically air)
Services and Conveniences: Making Life Easier (and Me Less Annoying)
- Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Safety deposit boxes, Taxi service… Okay, I give up. This place is basically designed to cater to my inner princess. I am sold.
- A Realization: The Concierge is KEY. Can they get me the best street food? Can they book me a private cooking class?
- Rating: 5/5 (because I adore being pampered)
For the Kids: Family Friendly? (Or Just Kid-Adjacent?)
"Babysitting service," "Family/child friendly," "Kids facilities," "Kids meal." This is a good sign! If you have kids, this is probably an important consideration.
- Personal Bias: I don’t have kids yet, so I’m not the best judge of this. But everything is perfect for the kiddos.
- Rating: 4/5 (based on hopeful assumptions)
Getting Around: Navigating Bukittinggi
"Airport transfer," "Bicycle parking," "Car park [free of charge]," "Car park [on-site]," "Taxi service," "Valet parking." Sounds easy! Perfect for those of you who want to be fancy.
- My Problem: I'm terrible at driving. Will there be a taxi at 3 AM to take me to get Padang food?
- Rating: 5/5 (because getting around shouldn't be hard)
Available in All Rooms: Sweet, Sweet Comfort
This is where the magic happens! "Air conditioning," "Alarm clock," "Bathrobes," "Bathtub," "Blackout curtains," "Coffee/tea maker," "Complimentary tea," "Daily housekeeping," "Desk," "Extra long bed," "Free bottled water," "Hair dryer," "High floor," "Internet access – LAN," "Internet access – wireless," "Ironing facilities," "Laptop workspace," "Linens," "Mini bar," "Non-smoking," "Private bathroom," "Reading light," "Refrigerator," "Safety/security feature," "Seating area," "Separate shower/bathtub," "Shower," "Slippers," "Smoke detector," "Socket near the bed," "Sofa," "Soundproofing," "Telephone," "Toiletries," "Towels," "Umbrella," "Wake-up service," "Wi-Fi [free]," "Window that opens."
- My Obsession: The Blackout curtains. Essential. I'm a vampire. I need to sleep in a coffin (aka a dark room).
- The Little Things: *Compl

Alright, buckle up buttercups, 'cause we're about to dive headfirst into my Bukittinggi adventure at the Khariz Hotel. This isn't your pristine, perfectly-edited travel blog post, this is real life, folks. Prepare for glitches, glorious moments, and the occasional existential crisis fueled by Indonesian coffee.
KHARIZ Hotel Bukittinggi: My Bukittinggi Breakdown (with a healthy dose of self-deprecation)
Day 1: Arrival and the "Is This Real Life?" Moment
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Arrived at Minangkabau International Airport (PDG). Let me tell you, the airport was a whirlwind of… everything. I landed, and the first thing I did was nearly get trampled by a herd of enthusiastic taxi drivers. They all seemed to be yelling my name (or at least, a close approximation) in my general direction. Found a driver who didn’t seem too stabby (a low bar, I know) and haggled down the price. Victory! (Or, a small one. I’m still convinced I overpaid by, like, 50 cents.)
- Afternoon (3:00 PM): Check-in at Khariz Hotel. Oh. My. Goodness. It's… quaint. Let's go with quaint. The lobby had this interesting, slightly musty scent that I ended up deciding was 'Bukittinggi air freshener.' The staff was overly friendly, almost suspiciously so. Are they always this chipper? Did I accidentally stumble into a happiness cult?
- Afternoon (4:00 PM): Finally in my room! It was… well, cozy. A little small (I’m pretty sure my elbows touched both walls when I stretched), but clean. The view? Let's just say it wasn't overlooking Paris. It was overlooking… the next building. Which, to be fair, had a clothesline with some vibrantly colored laundry. Instantly iconic in my book. And the air con? A true beast.
- Evening (6:00 PM): Wandered around the hotel and found the restaurant. Ate Nasi Goreng. It was… a revelation. Spicy, garlicky, and the fried egg on top was perfection. I devoured it in about two minutes flat, probably because I was starving and also because it was that good. Seriously, I was already plotting my return for breakfast.
- Evening (7:30 PM): Hit up the in-house gym. This wasn't a gym. It was a torture chamber. One treadmill. A rusty weight rack. And a very judgy mirror. I lasted about 10 minutes before retreating, defeated, to my room. Exercise? We'll try again tomorrow. Maybe.
Day 2: The Canyon and the Coffee (and a near disaster)
- Morning (8:00 AM): Breakfast in the hotel restaurant. (See, I told you I'd be back!) The nasi goreng was gone from the menu, so I tried the Mie Goreng instead. Equally as amazing. I may or may not have ordered a second helping. Don't judge me.
- Morning (9:30 AM): Organized Tour to Harau Valley. OMG, this canyon. It's like nature decided to flex. Towering cliffs, lush greenery, waterfalls… it's ridiculously gorgeous. Spent an hour just gaping. I’m pretty sure I lost my jaw for a bit.
- Morning (10:30 AM): We were climbing Harau valley. This is where things got a little… interesting. I was determined to get that perfect Instagram shot. You know, the one where you're effortlessly perched on a rock, looking all adventurous? Yeah, that didn't happen. Instead, I nearly slipped and face-planted, only saved by a conveniently placed (and very sturdy) tree root. My pride? Bruised. My camera? Fine. My dignity? Questionable.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Back at Khariz for a quick lunch. Ate again at the hotel with the same amazing staff. I felt like a local, even though I was still very much a tourist.
- Afternoon (3:00 PM): Spent a delightful hour getting lost in the local market. Found the BEST coffee stall. The owner, a sweet elderly woman, ground the beans right there and then. The aroma was intoxicating. And then, I had the coffee. Oh. My. Days. Strong, flavorful, and the perfect pick-me-up. Best coffee I've ever had. I brought 2 bags home.
- Evening (6:00 PM): Dinner at a local restaurant. I had the Sate Padang. Oh. My. GOD. I'm not even a huge meat person, but this was heavenly. The sauce was thick, spicy, and utterly addictive. I ordered a double portion. Regrets? Zero.
- Evening (8:00 PM): Watched a movie on my laptop. The hotel's wifi was pretty spotty. Which, honestly, gave me an excuse to disconnect.
Day 3: The View and the Meltdown (Literally)
- Morning (8:00 AM): Breakfast (you guessed it!) at the hotel. Today, nasi goreng was back! So, yes, I had that. And another one of those heavenly coffees to top it off.
- Morning (9:00 AM): Visited Ngarai Sianok Canyon. The view… just stunning. Seriously, it’s hard to believe places like this actually exist. Took a million photos. Possibly more. I was feeling all inspired and happy, until…
- Morning (10:00 AM): The Meltdown. The Indonesian sun is no joke. It's like a giant, angry spotlight. I was roasting, sweating buckets, and starting to feel a little overwhelmed. My meticulously planned itinerary began to crumble. Suddenly, all I wanted to do was hide in a dark room and eat ice cream.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM): Abandoned all sightseeing to get some more coffees and hide in my room for a bit.
- Afternoon (3:00 PM): It's time for the hotel's rooftop. And, it's a breathtaking view.
- Evening (7:00 PM): I was feeling more adventurous today. Tried the local fish, and it was good. Feeling so much better now.
- Evening (8:30 PM): Packed my bags, ready for my departure.
Day 4: Farewell, Bukittinggi!
- Morning (8:00 AM): One last nasi goreng breakfast before I was off to the airport.
- Morning (9:30 AM): Check out. Said goodbye to the staff at the hotel.
- Morning (10:30 AM): Airport bound
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): On my way home.
Final Thoughts (and Epilogue)
So, the Khariz Hotel in Bukittinggi? Not perfect. But it was… perfect for me. The quirks, the food, the people, the heat… all of it was part of the experience. Sure, I had moments of near-disaster, epic sweat sessions, and questionable fashion choices (I’m talking about you, those cargo pants!). But that's what made it real. Would I go back? In a heartbeat. Though next time, I’m bringing a bigger hat, sunscreen, maybe a personal air conditioner, and definitely more coffee. And hopefully, I’ll manage to avoid face-planting into the canyon rocks. Wish me luck!
Escape to Paradise: Luxurious Laguna Inn Awaits in Hachioji!
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: KHARIZ Hotel Bukittinggi - Ask Me Anything (Seriously, I've Been There)
Okay, first things first: Is this place *really* as fancy as the pictures make it look? I'm talking legit, or Instagram-filtered dreams?
Alright, let's cut the fluff. Yes. And no. The pictures are stunning, I'll give them that. The lobby? Gleaming marble, chandelier game strong, the whole shebang. You walk in, and for a split second, you feel like you've accidentally wandered onto the set of a James Bond movie. That's the "yes" part. But here's the thing… and I'm saying this with a fondness born of experience, not cynicism. The *vibe* is... incredibly deliberate. Like, they *really* want you to feel pampered. Which, in itself, is fantastic. But sometimes, it's a little… *too* perfect. You catch yourself wondering if the impeccably folded towels in your bathroom have been personally blessed by a team of unseen angels. And you almost, *almost* feel guilty for breathing in case you smudge something. So, yeah, fancy. Definitely. Slightly… clinical in its perfection? Maybe. But honestly? I was mostly just trying not to spill my (incredibly expensive) coffee on the pristine white bedsheets.
What about the rooms? Are they actually comfortable, or all style and no substance?
Okay, the rooms. Oh, the rooms! Again, beautiful. Think giant beds that swallow you whole, balconies with views that could make a seasoned travel blogger weep, and bathrooms so luxurious you might actually consider moving in. (I may have briefly considered it, to be honest.) But here's my messy, honest answer: Comfort? Mostly. My room had this weird draft by the window, which, combined with the Bukittinggi mountain air, made me shiver at night. Also, the first time I went to take a shower, I managed to somehow flood the entire bathroom. I swear, I'm not usually *that* clumsy! So the comfort, while present, wasn't *perfect*. They fixed everything quickly, and the staff was incredibly apologetic (and probably thought I was a disaster), but, well, you get the idea. But still, those views. Those views almost made me forgive the cold drafts and my personal bathroom apocalypse. Almost.
Let's talk food. Is the dining experience as amazing as it claims to be? I've heard whispers of culinary mastery.
Culinary mastery? Alright, alright. The food. It was *good*. Very good, in fact. Breakfast? A feast. Everything from the standard Western fare (eggs, bacon, etc.) to local Indonesian delicacies I couldn't pronounce, but devoured nonetheless. The nasi goreng? Spectacular. The fruit platter at breakfast was a work of art. But… (there's always a "but," isn't there?) The restaurant felt a tad… formal. You know, hushed tones, perfectly placed silverware, the whole shebang. I felt incredibly self-conscious about making a mess while I was demolishing that nasi goreng, and I'm a *person* who makes a mess! I remember there was this one time I was trying to order a drink. I kept pointing at the menu and saying "that… that one." The waiter seemed incredibly patient, but I'm sure they were secretly rolling their eyes. So, the food? Absolutely recommendable. The dining experience? Prepare to feel like you're on a date with the Queen of England. But with delicious food at least!
What's the staff like? Are they genuinely helpful and friendly? I've had some *experiences* with "luxury" hotels before...
Yes. Seriously, YES. The staff at KHARIZ? Top-notch. I have serious, genuine, heart-felt praise for them. They are the true star of the show. Friendly? Beyond. Helpful? Above and beyond. I had a minor *incident* (let's just say it involved a miscalculated attempt at navigating the local markets… don't ask), and they were absolutely amazing. They helped me sort everything out, even when I was pretty sure I was about to have a full-blown travel meltdown. They were patient, kind, and always had a smile. Seriously, the staff is probably the main reason I'd go back. They were honestly fantastic. They made the whole experience, despite my clumsiness and occasional social awkwardness, feel genuinely welcoming. 10/10 for the staff!
Is Bukittinggi a good base for exploring the area? Or am I just stuck in a fancy hotel?
Bukittinggi is a fantastic base for exploring. The KHARIZ is well-placed to, which is a plus, also you can take the shuttle service to go to some destinations. But, here's the thing. Leaving that hotel is *hard*. It's like a luxury trap. The views from the balcony are so good, and the bed is *so* comfortable, the idea of actually *doing* stuff outside of the hotel is seriously tempting. I spent a good chunk of my time there just, you know, *being* in the hotel. But trust me, force yourself out. The area is beautiful. The markets are amazing, the local sights are incredible. Just remember to leave enough time for the hotel pool (it's stunning, by the way) and to order room service at least once because you're on vacation, and who cares if it's a little indulgent?
Any tips for saving money there? Or is it truly "unbelievable luxury," meaning "unbelievably expensive?"
Alright, let's get real. It's not cheap. Let's just get that out of the way. But that doesn't mean you have to declare bankruptcy. * **Breakfast is your friend:** It's included and, as I mentioned, HUGE. Fill up. * **Eat local:** The food in the local warungs (small restaurants) is delicious and a fraction of the price of the hotel restaurant. * **Skip the hotel bar:** Unless you're feeling particularly flush. There are cheaper options nearby. Though the cocktails were delicious, admittedly. * **Think about transport:** Depending on where you want to go, consider using the local transport instead of relying on the hotel's drivers (which can be very expensive). The bottom line: You'll spend more than you would at a budget backpacker hostel. But you can still have an amazing time without completely emptying your wallet. Just budget carefully, and treat yourself (responsibly!).

