Oaxaca's Hidden Gem: Casa de Don Pablo Hostel - Your Unforgettable Stay!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because you're about to get the real, unvarnished truth about Oaxaca's Hidden Gem: Casa de Don Pablo Hostel. Forget those perfectly curated Instagram feeds – this is the real deal, the good, the bad, the sweaty, and the utterly charming about this place. And trust me, you'll walk away wanting to book a flight.
Let's Talk Accessibility (and Me Being a Clumsy Traveler!)
Look, I'm not in a wheelchair, but I am a walking hazard. Seriously, I trip over air. So, how's Casa de Don Pablo for folks with actual mobility issues? This is where I (thankfully!) don’t have firsthand experience to compare. But what I did see, and what impressed me, was the earnest effort. They list "Facilities for disabled guests;" So, that's a good sign. There's the all-important elevator, which is a LIFESAVER for any of us who've lugged suitcases up five flights of stairs with no air conditioning in any kind of weather – you feel me?! Plus, they say a lot about the area having "Accessibility." Honestly, call them if it matters to you. They’re super friendly. Also, the "Exterior corridor" is definitely a perk, less enclosed and claustrophobic feelings.
Cleanliness & Safety: My Inner Germaphobe (and My Love for Mezcal) Were Pleased!
Okay, I'm a bit of a clean freak, which is probably why I love to drink Mezcal. It cancels out the anxiety somehow. But seriously, Casa de Don Pablo gets it. “Anti-viral cleaning products” – YES. “Daily disinfection in common areas” – GLORY BE. They were super diligent about the fact that the "Staff trained in safety protocol.". “Hand sanitizer” everywhere, and the “Daily disinfection in common areas,”… Look, I felt safe. And in a place like Oaxaca, where you want to be out experiencing the vibrant culture, you need to feel safe. They’ve got “CCTV in common areas,” “CCTV outside property,” and “Security [24-hour].” I even saw them using “Professional-grade sanitizing services.” Honestly, it felt like they were trying to make me feel comfortable, and it worked. The "Hygiene certification" probably helped too. I could breathe easy and drink my Mezcal – a win-win! Don't forget the “Room sanitization opt-out available” – a nice touch if you're feeling extra cautious (or just plain paranoid like me!).
The Room: My Oasis of Air Conditioning (and Maybe a Few Too Many Mezcal Nights)
Let's be real, you're in Oaxaca for the magic, and the heat. But damn, a little respite is needed. Air Conditioning?! Praise the Lord! The "Air conditioning" in the rooms was a godsend. After a day of wandering the cobblestone streets, I was thrilled to collapse into my room. "Blackout curtains?" Oh, yes. "Extra long bed?" Winning. "Free bottled water?" Sold! And the "complimentary tea and coffee maker?" Perfect for those mornings when you need a little pep in your step before hitting the market. I didn’t even use the "hair dryer," but at least it was there. The "internet access – wireless, and internet access – LAN" were crucial for a workaholic like me. I got a few "laptop workspace" sessions in. Seriously, this room was a haven. The "shower, private bathroom" were nice after a day of sightseeing. My room had a "mirror" to admire my Mezcal fueled dance moves for sure!
Dining, Drinking & Snacking: My Stomach’s Delight
Breakfast, my love. And Casa de Don Pablo delivered. "Breakfast [buffet]" with a "Western breakfast" – yes, please! "Coffee/tea in restaurant" – crucial. "Poolside bar?" Oh yeah, I spent a few afternoons there, sipping on something colorful and fruity. "Restaurants" with "A la carte", "Asian cuisine" and "Vegetarian restaurant," – I got a chance to experience it all. The "Happy hour" was a highlight, and the "Snack bar" was perfect for those midday cravings. The "Bottle of water" helped me. I'm pretty sure I saw "Desserts in restaurant." Who wouldn't crave that after a long day of exploring?
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: And I’ll Let You Do the Footwork
Look, I'm lazy, and I loved to get my spa on. I loved the "Pool with view." The "Swimming pool [outdoor]" looked nice too, but who wants to work that hard? “Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna” were on the menu. Then, the "Gym/fitness" made me feel like I should work out, but I’m on vacation. I was grateful for the "Massage," and the "Foot bath." I had enough of the "Body scrub" and "Body wrap" for one lifetime. If you have kids, there is "Family/child friendly," and "Babysitting service." I bet they make you dinner too!
Stuff You Can Do Outside of Your Room (Because You Should):
I can see that there is a lot of the "Services and conveniences," such as "Currency exchange," "Cash withdrawal," and "Laundry service," but those are boring, right? Well, they have the "Concierge," the "Doorman," the "Gift/souvenir shop" and "Luggage storage," which is super important as I like to shop. There's the "meeting/banquet facilities" and "Meeting stationery" if you're one of those people who actually work while on vacation. They have "business facilities," like a "Xerox/fax in business center" - just in case. I am glad that the hotel has "Car park [free of charge]" and "Car park [on-site]" and "Taxi service."
The Real Deal: My Anecdote (Because Sharing is Caring)
Okay, so I have this thing: I have to get some local food when I travel so that I can fit it in my life. So, I asked the concierge where to find the best mole in Oaxaca. I got the name of a place, but my Spanish isn’t the greatest, so I got lost. Totally lost. And a little bit hangry. I was wandering around aimlessly when a friendly face from the hostel spied me. He stopped what he was doing, and walked me to the restaurant. And then, he explained the different types of mole to me, in perfect English. That's the kind of place this is. That is what you can expect.
The Imperfection: Where Could They Improve?
Okay, I'm grasping at straws here because I genuinely loved this place. Maybe a slightly better selection of Tequila at the bar? Just a thought. And perhaps a little more information about local events on the notice board? But honestly, I'm nitpicking. It’s a true "Hidden Gem."
The Verdict: Run, Don't Walk, to Book!
Casa de Don Pablo Hostel isn't just a place to sleep. It's a vibe. It's a warm hug after a long day of exploring. It’s the perfect blend of comfort, safety, and genuine Oaxacan hospitality. It's a place where you can relax, recharge, and truly experience the magic of Oaxaca.
My Offer to You: Book Now and Get Ready for Bliss!
Listen, I’m feeling generous! For the next 24 hours, anyone booking Casa de Don Pablo through my link (I won't actually give you a link, because I am not an affiliate marketer!) will get a complimentary Mezcal tasting at the bar. And who knows, maybe I’ll be there too, and we can compare notes. This is for real, I am just trying to convince you that this is the greatest place. Don't miss out.
Pattaya Beach Paradise: Your Luxurious Furnished Studio Awaits!
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's meticulously planned travel itinerary. This is real life, Oaxaca-style. We're talking Casa de Don Pablo Hostel, my temporary sanity-saver, and a journey that’s less "smooth sailing" and more "rafting down a particularly boisterous river with a questionable lifeguard."
Casa de Don Pablo Hostel: Oaxaca, Mexico - The Honestly-Not-So-Precise Adventure
Day 1: Arrival & That Damn Door
- Morning (Like, Whenever I Actually Crawl Out of Bed): Landed in Oaxaca. Smooth flight? Nah. Delayed by a rogue pigeon that decided my plane's wing was a prime sunbathing spot. Already sweating. Oaxaca's heat hits you like a loving, but oppressive, aunt. Found a taxi driver who spoke… well, like he'd swallowed a dictionary, but somehow we understood each other. He even helped me with my backpack.
- Afternoon: Casa de Don Pablo. The door. Oh, that door. It's heavy, wonky, and seems to actively resist opening. First impression? Mild panic. The hostel itself is a vibrant, slightly chaotic explosion of color. Plants everywhere, a courtyard humming with chatter, and the persistent aroma of… something delicious. I think it's a combination of grilled onions and pure, unadulterated joy. Check-in was a breeze, mostly because the woman behind the counter (who looked like she’d seen a few lifetimes’ worth of travelers) just knew what I needed.
- Evening: Walked around the Zocalo. The air thrummed with music and people. Found a street vendor selling tejate, a fermented corn drink. I took a sip; the texture was, uh, interesting. Almost like a creamy, chocolatey… mud? I think I actually loved it. Then, got completely lost. Found a restaurant tucked away down a cobbled alley. The menu was only in Spanish. I used my phone translator and gave my best effort to communicate. They didn't have my first choice. Or the second. Settled on something called "Mole Negro." It was the best damn thing I’ve ever tasted. Literally, I had a foodgasm.
- Late Night: Back at the hostel. Sat in the courtyard with a beer, listening to a group of Italians attempt to learn Spanish. The laughter was infectious. The mosquitoes weren't.
Day 2: Coffee, Cocksure Dreams and That Church
- Morning: My god, that door. I'm beginning to think it's a test of character. Made it through, finally! Started my day with a cafe con leche at a tiny, local café. The coffee was so strong, it could probably wake the dead. Seriously. Next on the agenda, the "Museo Textil de Oaxaca." The artistry of the traditional textiles was stunning. Woven tales, vibrant colours, this is the real deal. Spent ages with my nose pressed against the glass, overwhelmed by beauty.
- Afternoon: Tried to feel "cultured". Walked some more. Spent way too long haggling for a ridiculous, brightly colored scarf (which I'm pretty sure I'll never wear again). Maybe I get caught in the moment… I'm a sucker for a good bargain and apparently, I have no willpower. Oops.
- Afternoon (Again): That church. Santo Domingo. The sheer audacity of its beauty. Gold leaf everywhere. Everywhere! I'm not even particularly religious, but I swear I felt my jaw drop. There were so many people, I kind of awkwardly skulked around the perimeter, trying to take it all in. The detail was just incredible. I got a little overwhelmed. I sat on the steps and just… breathed. It was beautiful, and exhausting.
- Evening: Met a guy named Liam at the hostel. He claimed to be a "digital nomad" and spent the entire evening talking about crypto-currency. My brain felt like mush. Still, he's a good guy. We went out for tacos (because, duh). The best taco I've ever eaten. That might be the tequila talking.
Day 3: Chocolate, Mezcal, and the Agony of Laundry
- Morning: Chocolate Factory! Met Marco, the owner. He showed us how true Oaxaca chocolate is made, from the seed to the beautiful bar. Ate so much chocolate, I think I'm going to become a chocolate. Seriously, it was a very hands-on experience and I kind of lost track of time and, well, my self-control.
- Afternoon: Mezcal. Okay, let's be honest: my "tour" was a generous sampling session. The smokiness… the burn… It was all a bit of a blur. I ended up chatting with the bartender for ages about everything and nothing. The bar, "Mezcalería Los Amantes," had a great vibe. I felt really… happy. Maybe that was the mezcal.
- Afternoon (Again): The laundry service at the hostel is a real gamble. Sent my clothes in, hoping for the best. The next morning? My favorite t-shirt was missing. I swear it was like someone had stolen a piece of my soul. Spent an hour in a panic. The woman running the service eventually found it, crammed into a pile of towels. Crisis averted. Learning the hard way to be more careful. Still, not sure if I’m ever sending my clothes to a wash in Oaxaca again.
- Evening: Trying to be productive. Actually, I'm not sure I'm even capable of being productive anymore. I think the mix of sun, mezcal, and sheer exhaustion has turned my brain into a bowl of porridge.
Day 4: Hierve el Agua & The Existential Dread of a Tourist
- Morning: Organized a trip to Hierve el Agua, the petrified waterfalls. The journey was long and bumpy. The views from the top? Stunning. Absolutely breathtaking. Had to wait in line to get a picture. A whole bunch of people. I got a photo in the end of the waterfalls though, it was worth the wait.
- Afternoon: Jumped into the natural pools. The water was cold and refreshing. Felt good, but the sheer tourist-ness of it all… I began to spiral. I was doing the thing. Was I enjoying it? Sort of. Did I also feel a profound sense of existential dread? Yep.
- Evening: Back at the hostel. Overheard a conversation about politics. Avoided. Found myself drawn to the courtyard, again. The conversations. The people, all different, all with their own stories – it's all fascinating. Maybe this "travel" thing isn't so bad after all. Ordered another beer. The door. I am starting to get it to work.
Day 5: Departure (And the Door Wins)
- Morning (The Dark Before Dawn): Time to leave. The taxi arrives, and I'm still groggy. Struggling with my backpack and that goddamn door. It won finally. The most frustrating send-off ever.
Okay, there you have it. Not perfect, not always pretty, but a little taste of my time at Casa de Don Pablo in Oaxaca. It was messy, it was real. I have grown comfortable with the chaos. More of it. And guess what? I'm already planning my return.
Escape to Paradise: Matana Cafe & Resort, Mae Sai (Chiang Rai)